Have your say about a proposed project for one of Bracebridge’s popular summer park playgrounds.
The Town reports its undertaking a project to expand the Kirby’s Beach Park playground to include accessible and inclusive play features. The improvements are part of an ongoing project to provide accessibility features and update infrastructure to service residents and visitors at the park.
To engage the ideas of children and families, the Town and its Accessibility Advisory Committee will be hosting a Public Open House on Tuesday, December 3 between 6 and 7:30 pm.
It’s happening at the Bracebridge Sportsplex Conference Room at 110 Clearbrook Trail - an on-line survey is also available.
“Play spaces provide a gathering place for family, friends and neighbours. They also offer children with diverse abilities the opportunity to play alongside each other,” noted Councillor Archie Buie, Chair of the Accessibility Advisory Committee.
The Accessibility Advisory Committee has been instrumental in spearheading a number of accessibility improvements at Kirby’s Beach Park, which include:
• Installation of two accessible picnic tables and the creation of hard-packed pathways to access the picnic tables and garbage receptacles;
• Purchase and installation of a Mobi Mat in partnership with the Rotary Club of Bracebridge. This specialized mat allows people with mobility issues to access the lake;
• Installation of resting areas for persons with mobility and respiratory issues;
• Creation and installation of dedicated accessible parking spaces; and
• Washroom upgrades including improvements to the accessibility of the existing washrooms; the installation of one (1) fully accessible universal washroom within the existing washroom building; and creation of an asphalt pathway to facilitate access to the washrooms.
The Public Open House and the on-line survey will help guide the design elements for the Kirby’s Beach Park playground expansion.
This project will revitalize the park environment to support healthy development for children of all abilities to engage in and enjoy.