The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit says a harmful algae bloom, also known as blue-green algae, has been found in Sand Lake in Kearney.
Species of the algae capable of producing toxins were confirmed by the laboratory of the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks.
The toxins in harmful algae can irritate the skin and, if swallowed, cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Residents of Sand Lake may be affected depending on their closeness to the algae bloom, the size of the lake, wind direction, water flow, and other environmental conditions that cannot be predicted or controlled.
Due to the many factors involved, government authorities are unable to determine where and when there are no toxins.
Users are advised to exercise their judgment before using the water.
For further details on the location of the algae bloom, and sampling process,
contact the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks – Spills Action Centre – 1-800-268-6060.